State of the Municipality Address
94th Adlaw ng Del Carmen
October 20, 2014
Honorable Alfredo Matugas Coro II
New Municipal Hall
Del Carmen, Siargao Islands, Surigao Del Norte
My respect to our Governor Sol Matugas and Congressman Lalo Matugas who is represented today by Vice Governor Jun Egay, Vice Mayor Andie Tan and the Sangguniang Bayan Members, Barangay Captains and Officials, LGU Department Heads and Staff, Allied Agencies and Partners, DEPED Family, SSCT DC Family, my beloved Senior Citizens and Students, Fr Pepe Ecat, Colleagues in government.
I am honored to share this morning as well with my family, Mrs Lizabeth Ong – Coro with sons Aj Coro III and Ibarra Lee Coro, my parents Atty Pedoy Gonzales Coro and Engr Baby Matugas Coro, my siblings ABC President Marlon, Tony Boy and Lynlen, my relatives in attendance, friends, ladies and gentlemen good morning.
Let me start by welcoming everyone officially to the New Municipal Complex and the New Municipal Building of Del Carmen. This is the Bag-Ong Del Carmen! For this honor and privilege, I owe the people service above self, and to serve more and not to be served. Thank you to all Del Carmenons for believing in our leadership, our governance and our dreams.
Allow me to extend my respects to our leaders who have made this symbol of Bag-Ong Del Carmen possible:
Project Started (2012) Project Completed (2014)
Hon Vice Mayor Renato Dulguime Hon Vice Mayor Andronia Tan
SB Members SB Members
Hon Marcelo Ravelo Hon Kent Angelito Jucay
Hon Arlinda Donoso Hon Jose Bayang
Hon Manuelito Conde Hon Remenildo Ongoy
Hon Reminildo Ongoy Hon Surlida Compasivo
Hon Constantino Cubillan Hon Constantino Cubillan
Hon Jess Comon Hon Walthon Calayag
Hon Walthon Calayag Hon Oscar Toldo
+ Hon Angelito Jucay Hon Claro Cariaga
Hon ABC Gaudencia Barquilla Hon ABC Marlon Coro
Hon SKF Paul Vincent Toldo
What we have committed to you is to continue to deliver, with the best of our ability and with very pure intentions, public service that is for the people, needed by the people, and sustained by the people.
I stand before the honorable members of the Sangguniang Bayan of Del Carmen led by the Chairman, Vice Mayor Andronia Tan to present the state of the municipality after our 1st full year of service for the 2nd Term of Office.
Before we proceed, let us be reminded of our vision and mission:
Vision: An active citizenry and competent Government with a sustainable Agri Eco-Tourism driven economy
Mission: To deliver quality social services through community driven development and partnerships.
It has been a great journey of learning for everyone. Together, we have shared in the progress and development of our municipality with the support of our partners in the public, non-government organizations and private sectors.
We have our five pillars of sustainable development roadmaps that the local government has been executing for the past 3 years:
a. Project EQuIP (Education QUality Improvement Program)
b. Health Governance Program
c. ECOTOWN Environmental Program
d. Food Security Roadmap
e. Social Tourism Program Development
Based on these roadmaps, LGU Del Carmen execute the programs with sole objective of decreasing the poverty incidence, increase the capacity and capability for people to find better opportunities, and to ensure balanced ecosystem development of the community.
• Project EQuIP
a. Already adopted by SB through as resolution as the education reform program of Del Carmen
b. Shown is a summary of the latest Expanded Local School Board Meeting where we discussed the issues on education and come up with plans to address the concerns
c. May I also take this chance to invite the DEPED Family to participate in the 1st Siargao Environmental Quiz Contest on Nov 14, 2014 with the coveted trophy of a real Mineral Ore
• Health Governance Program
a. We are now lobbying with the SB to be institutionalized as the Health program of Del Carmen
b. Shown is a summary of the latest Expanded Local Health Board Meeting which is a celebration of health governance initiatives
c. LGU Del Carmen will be graduating from the ZFF health governance program we participated for 2 years this October 27-28 in Manila with the highest distinction
• Food Security Roadmap
a. We have completed our 1st Food Security Summit which resulted into suggested reforms which we are now implementing in terms of agriculture and fisheries management
b. Food Security Program is the last pillar we are trying to push for reform to complete the sustainable development model
• ECOTOWN Environmental Program
a. Our strategies in Climate Adaptation for Rural Communities was considered one of the best in the country getting published in the Climate Adaptation Book of DENR and the only 1 of 3 municipalities featured in the book
b. ECOTOWN’s results made us understand our realistic chances for growth and development and our response to the study is how we updated our planning process and is what you are seeing in all our governance results
• Social Tourism Program Development
a. Our Social Tourism Program is now getting recognition from both the government and the private sector
b. Our current Tourism Service Products includes mangrove tours and corporate social responsibility (CSR) program packages
1. I am very grateful for the very strong support of the Sangguiniang Bayan for the programs of the executive department hastening the process of transformation of Del Carmen. Let us give our SB Members lead by the Hon Vice Mayor Andie Tan a round of applause and appreciation.
2. From 2013 -2014 these are their Landmark Ordinances:
a. The Comprehensive Municipal Fisheries Ordinance was passed as part of our commitment to strengthen our Fisheries Sector
b. Organizational Restructuring to hasten and sustain the developmental programs of Del Carmen
c. Review of the Comprehensive Land Use Plan of Del Carmen and for integration to Siargao Islands CLUP
d. The creation of the Del Carmen Centennial Commission for 100 year celebration of Del Carmen that will look into ensuring our heritage is preserved
1. Completion of two key legacy programs:
a. The New Municipal Building and the Municipal Complex will soon have an evacuation center, crocodile park and plant nursery
b. The Gawad Kalinga Pangarap Village Phase 1
2. Public Communications:
a. Radyo Kabakhawan 97.7 DXNG-FM: Municipal Radyo ng Bayan
b. Utilization of Social Media to increase governance coverage especially with the OFW. We have our award winning website and Facebook Page / Group regularly updated.
3. Managing Peace and Order and MDRRCCA Program
a. Fight Against Drugs has become our #1 Priority and the our aggressive approach has led to our PNP Station earning the Silver Award for performance in Caraga Region.
b. We take Zero Casualty Seriously. This is not negotiable! Since 2010, we have 0 casualty and let us all work together to maintain this number.
4. Partnership Driven Development:
a. We have increased on partners in development from 0 in 2010 to more than a 100 active partners as of 2014
b. Some of our partners from the private sector includes the biggest names in business
c. Our partners in the public sector allowed us direct access to projects in the regional and national level
d. NGO partners are the biggest NGO and Foundations operating in the Philippine have placed their trust and confidence in our capacity to delivery. May I give special mention to SIKAT who has been with us for the last 2 years capacitating our communities in developing MDRR, Coastal Resource Management and the Mangrove Management plan.
1. Renovation of the LandBank Building. It will soon be turned over to LGU Del Carmen as the Board of Trustees of the LandBank of the Philippines has approved our request after 2 years of constant negotiation
2. Del Carmen Housing Program in Brgy Lobogon with Habitat for Humanity and NHA. The socialized housing program will soon be launched.
3. Development of the Del Carmen Centennial Park in line with 100 years of Del Carmen by 2020
PROJECT MANAGEMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE:
1. Improving Accessibility to Del Carmen
a. In partnership with Gov Sol and Cong Lalo, we have completed the main secondary national roads leading to Brgy Mabuhay and Brgy Jamoyaon
b. Mabuhay Farm to Market Roads will make the access from Mabuhay to Fish Port area
c. Sayak to Mahayahay Road makes Mahayahay access to health, education and trade safe. We now have an opportunity to develop Mahayahay Mountain Treks for Tourism.
d. The ongoing Lobogon to Tuburan Road will cut travel time of goods from southern Siargao (GL, Pilar) to northern Siargao and vice versa
e. Completed several Municipal Road Concreting in the Poblacion Area
2. Del Carmen Port Operations improvement with the New Passenger Terminal and Halian Lighthouse
3. Evacuation Center for Brgy Tuburan
4. Coverage improvement of Electricity and Potable Water Access in Sitios and Barangays covering almost 100% of Del Carmen
1. Roads to Tourism Destinations: Antipolo to Mabini and Tuburan to Maasin for faster access to General Luna Surfing and Pilar Fishing.
2. Fish Port improvements for Brgy Caub, Brgy San Fernando, Brgy Halian and Brgy Domuyog
3. Potable Drinking Water solutions for all Barangays and focus on the Poblacion Water Distribution System Issue
4. Government Building Construction for completion / rehabilitation: Women’s Commercial Center, Municipal Circuit Trial Court, Senior Citizens Center, BFP Building Completion and PNP Building Construction
5. Municipal Evacuation Centers in the Municipal Complex and Brgy San Jose
AGRI ECO-TOURISM: (Our Flagship Program to address food security, sustainability and entrepreneurship opportunities)
1. Launched the 1st Del Carmen Food Security Summit in 2013 to mark our commitment to reforming food security management. We made our follow up program in May 2014 with the turnover of various support services.
2. Release to of Pre Harvest / Post Harvest Facilities and Fishing Equipments to our 30 active People’s Organization
3. Livelihood Support Opportunities through crops, livestock and marine with partners like PAMANA, MRDP, DA, DOST, DTI, DOLE with at least 20 PO’s receiving P250,000 as seed capital for their projects.
4. Regular capacity building program to improve the chances of a successful enterprise and as a venue for knowledge sharing. Our best capacity building initiative is the successful launch of the BS Agricultural Technology and BS Fisheries Course in SSCT DC Campus.
5. Deployment of the Barangay Nutrition Scholars as Barangay Agricultural Workers to have more people focusing on the farming to feeding program of families
6. Del Carmen is now considered one of the leading practitioners of Climate Change Adaptation in planning. We are regularly invited as representative to the local and international discussions and negotiations on climate change programs.
7. Del Carmen Watershed is now dileanated and endorsed to be made into law with the support of Congressman Lalo Matugas to ensure Siargao will have water source in the future.
8. National Greening Program support is covers our tree planting activities in the Watershed Area, the Green Canopy along the Highway and the Mangrove Forest. Our reforestation has the highest survival rate among the various sites of DENR.
9. Social Tourism has led to Public-Private Partnership for Krokodeilus and more public-private investments with the construction of New Resorts and New Pension Houses being built in the islands of Del Carmen.
10. Our ongoing community based tourism program of Byaheng Sugba and Mangrove Tours has been getting more clients
11. We are also constructing New Tourism Facilities
a. Punta Kawit Mangrove Boardwalk
b. Mangrove Protection Information Center to be launched on Nov 15, 2014
c. Sugba Lagoon Convention Center rehabilitation to start by Q1 2015
12. We are now known to have the capacity to host social tourism activities such as:
a. Shore It Up / Siargao It Up 2013 and the Siargao It Up 2014 on November 15
b. GK Siargao Bayani Challenge 2013 which will now result into the GK Mangrove Eco-Park
c. Unilab Leadership Journey for top Medical Doctors in 2013, 2014 and soon 2015
a. Completion of the Antipolo to Mabini Road Concreting
b. Rehabilitation of Farm to Market Roads
c. Operate the National Irrigation Administration – Siargao Office
d. Development of Shared Service Facilities in SSCT DC Campus
a. Biodiversity Research Center and Park plan development
b. Implementation of the Siargao Solid Waste Management project as funded by ADB and DENR
c. More coverage in tree planting in the watershed and the mangrove forest
a. Completion of the old Municipal Gym Rehabilitation into the Municipal Convention Center
b. Construction of the old Municipal Building into the Municipal Hotel
c. Develop New Packages: Heritage Tours in the Poblacion
BARANGAY DEVELOPMENT: (Special Thanks to the Barangay Captains, Officials and Volunteers)
1. Community Development
a. Strengthen the implementation of Pantawid Pamilya Pilipino Program (4Ps), Senior Citizen Pension, PhilHealth and Sustainable Livelihood Program (SLP)
b. Del Carmen has completed Kalahi CIDDS Phase 1 with 8 completed sub-projects in the barangay: 2 Level II Water System, 2 Rain Collectors, 2 Day Care Centers, Fishing Port, and Drainage System. Continuing Projects: Evacuation Center, 8 Classrooms, 2 Rain Collectors. KALAHI CIDDS Program has allowed us to promote participatory governance and volunteerism in the barangay.
c. Del Carmen is currently implementing the KC-NCDDP Program of the World Bank and DSWD with around P30M for 2014, another P17M for 2015, and GPP of P12.5M for 2015 and GPP of P15M for 2016.
2. Education Quality Roadmap execution
a. Development of Education Centers: ONMHS High School Campus and classrooms, Ongoing construction of Early Childhood Center for Development Building, Various Elementary and High School Classroom construction and rehabilitation
b. Education Governance Initiatives:
• Capacity Building of Teachers with International / World Class Trainors such us the upcoming InfoTeach Program
• Literacy Campaign through the Mobile Library and Barangay Libraries in Schools
• Education Caravan of Gov Sol for the children
c. Surigao State College of Technology – Del Carmen Campus
• Bigger College scholarship programs for 2013-15
• Improvement of School Equipment and Facilities
• More Partnerships like NYU, UPLB, DOST, PBSP
d. Consolidation of Feeding Programs aims to address malnutrition and improve school participation is ongoing with Jollibee Foundation, Kabisig ng Lahi, DSWD, DEPED and Feed the Hungry
3. Health Governance Initiatives
a. Successful Del Carmen Health Summit 2013 and in 2014 expanded to cover Siargao Health Concerns
b. MDG Health Outcomes: 0 MMR, Reduced IMR and Improvement on Disease Mgmt
c. Seal of Health Governance for the Barangays 2013 and the 2014 results are simply inspiring:
• 2 Silver Seal of Health Governance Awardees (San Jose and Mahayahay)
• 10 Bronze Seal of Health Governance Awardees
• 100% participation of the barangays
d. Newly Opened ZFF Birthing Facilities (Jamoyaon and Bitoon) that was able to deliver their first babies named Zuella and Zuello.
e. Health Centers Development: RHU Rehabilitation and DOH Operations Center Siargao
f. Panambay sa Barangay covering Medical and Surgical Missions through Gov Sol and Cong Lalo
1. Community Development
a. Gov Sol and Cong Lalo’s unequalled support for the barangays and schools of Del Carmen.
b. Strengthen the Youth Leadership Development Program
2. Health and Education programs will have sustained support from partners:
a. Implementation of the Community Drug Store and Botika ng Barangay
b. Education Centers: Preschool Classrooms, DCNHS K12 Classrooms and SCCT DC Classrooms
FINANCE AND MONITORING: (Special Thanks to the LGU Department Heads)
1. Local Governance Computerization with ETRACS
2. Barangay Annual Budget Preparation Support. This is a best practice in Budget and Fiscal Management.
3. Improvement in tax and fees collection including ease of doing business with the Business One Stop Shop campaign
4. Improvement on Fiscal Management to support counter-parting policies of the National Government programs. LGU and Gov Meeting with the ABC allows us to be transparent in discussion with the various fiscal requirements
1. Local Governance Computerization with E-NGAS
2. Simplifying the management of public enterprises and public properties
3. Better fiscal management to manage fiscal deficit
These are not all the programs we have implemented as there are more. We had our share of failures but we will rise, learn from our mistakes and be better. To cap it off, we have achieved the following milestones with the strong support of the hardworking Team LGU:
• Silver Seal of Good Housekeeping from the Department of Interior and Local Government for good governance initiatives for 3 consecutive years (2011, 2012 and 2013)
• 2014 3rd Most Outstanding Local Government – Municipal Category by National Literacy Council and Department of Education
• 2014 Best Local Government for Municipalities by DEPED Caraga Region
• 2014 Best Education Program of the Provincial Government of Surigao de Norte
• 2014 2nd Best Tourism Event – Municipal Category by Association of Tourism Officers of the Philippines and Department of Tourism
• Several Provincial and Regional Recognitions
• International Recognition with IVLP, USA and MASHAV, Israel for our work in Tourism and Environmental Management
• Best Practice Recognition for Climate Change Adaptation Programs which we now share to various areas of the country. I am seated her with Ms Bianca Gonzales and Sec Lucille Sering
• Best Practice Recognition Seal of Health Governance Program which is now being implemented by Municipalities in Palawan, Masbate, Camarines Sur, Samar, Surigao Sur. Here is an article published about our transformation in health governance and service delivery.
• Best Practice Recognition for Project EQuIP which was recognized by one of the convener of the National Competitive Council Dr Nene Guevarra in her article on Unrecognized Treasures alongside Valezuela City, Marikina City, Saranggani Province who are known as Education Innovation Champions. Project EQuIP was also featured in by USAID in Washington DC, USA as a successful strategy for transformation of education.
• Social Tourism Program of Del Carmen is now recognized attracting new partners in development including Google, VSO Bahaginan, Nestle, Government of Netherlands.
The last 12 months of public service has been all about collaboration, innovation, and partnerships. I am thankful to all our collaborators, partners, family, friends and supporters. I am thankful to Our Lady of Mt Carmel for guiding us always to do what is right. Yours in public service, Alfredo Matugas Coro II, Municipal Mayor of Del Carmen, Siargao Islands, Philippines.
Salamat Karajaw sa Ijo Hurot.
Padajon Del Carmen, Padajon Siargao, Padajon Surigao.
Marajaw na Adlaw sa ato tanan.